Saturday, August 25, 2007

Warped Tour Coverage 2007 ... Wasabi Style!

So an some of you may know, we just started this blog about 5 days ago. We have already recieved over 15,000 hits. It's just that crazy! Thanks guys!

In other news, I went to the Warped Tour this past Thursday and let me tell you, it was a crazy good time. Matt and I got there late and we missed Chiodos, or technically, I missed Chiodos. A little bummed yes, so we headed over to the Press area so I could get the line-up and see who would be available that day for interviews. Pretty much everyone, however I was losing my voice and Matt wasn't sure what questions to ask because me being me, I like to wing it in interviews and see where it goes, and I didn't have anything written down on paper.

So I saw Coheed and Cambria who by the way, are not my cup of tea when it comes to music. However, they are always an amazing show no matter which way you look at it/them. Playing in the heat with over a couple pounds of hair on your head is a huge feat and Claudio pulled it off. I have a confession to make. Back in 2002 friends of mine theSTART went on tour with Coheed, Thrice and Hot Water Music. A friend and I decided we'd catch a string of their shows and help with Merch on the East Coast. Aimee of theSTART introduced us to Claudio, and for some reason, due to his fluffy hair, he was nicknamed "Broccoli" and from then on we called him that. Although that may sound mean, it was an endearing name of affection from my friend. I think she secretly had a crush on him haha. I had a chance to speak with Claudio at the Mountain View Warped date and gush over how I thought it was great that C+C had a chance to actually make it big, seeing them come up from playing clubs like Birch Hill in NJ (which no longer exists R.I.P.) to the Trocadero in Philly to Headlining on Warped and so much more, it's just crazy and exciting to see.

Matt was excited that we had the chance to see Tiger Army which Matt was lucky enough to be on stage for, seeing as they're one of his favorite bands. I personally had only seen them once before, at Warped Tour in Mountain View on July 1st. [see photos to the right] And I must admit, seeing them again made me feel a bit nostalgic. Somehow they reminded me of all the summers I wished were winter. Their set was energetic and Nick 13 had a way of making his voice blend so well with the music that it was almost as if he were playing two instruments, as cheesey as that sounds.
They'll be coming back to Nor Cal playing Chico on Nov. 2nd with Said Radio (all you Nerve Agents fans out there, you better be at that show!).

I wandered around a bit and ended up losing Matt and his friend Michelle who he met up with. Found them watching Black President who totally blew me away and somewhat reminded me of Bullets and Octane who I love. The raw vocals and killer guitar riffs made me forget I was at Warped Tour baking in the sun. Seriously.

Somewhere along the lines I saw Hawthorne Heights who for some reason had a lot of crowdsurfers. They played all their radio hits, and oddly, I found myself singing along to NikkiFM and also taking the most photos of this band over the other bands I photographed that day. I had photographed them previously at Black Clouds and Underdogs Tour back in March of 2006 and let me tell you, these guys have gotten way better with their live gig. I believe I also saw them on Warped Tour in 2005, my memory is a little foggy on that.

However, they put on a great set. Backstage a girl was trying to throw herself at their singer and he was like "I'm sorry, I have a significant other" or something along those lines, looking quite scared. It's refreshing to see that people still have morals this day and age.

Later on in the day I got to interview The Fold and harrass Dan, their singer, about Stockton and Barnes and Noble:

No comments: